Designing custom map styles for your OpenStreetMap vector tilesWorkshop User Interface Digital Product Design
OpenStreetMap is a collaborative project to create a free editable map of the world. Designing a style for your custom OSM vector tiles can be a bit confusing for a newcomer to GIS or to somebody just getting started with maps. This workshop focuses on creating a map style using Maputnik visual editor and applying it to your custom vector tiles (rest assured – we’ll provide the OSM tiles)
1) What is OpenMapTiles ? OpenMapTiles schema presentation
2) Download and host locally MBTiles (OSM vector tiles)
3) What is Maputnik? What is coolors.co and why should you use it for map design ?
4) Design a custom map style in Maputnik
5) Why JSON for map styling ?
6) Host your vector tiles with your newly created map style
– Laptop / Mac
– Docker – Installation guide https://docs.docker.com/v17.09/engine/installation/#desktop
Who are we?
The workshop is hosted by MapDev. Our purpose here at MapDev is to provide users with fast and easy custom OpenStreetMap solutions.
MapDev is currently comprised of two members:
– Dorin Oltean – Developer with experience in distributed systems, docker tooling and web development
– Armin Gheorghina – GIS Developer with 3+ years of OpenStreetMap experience
Time and place:
– Approximate time of workshop ~ 2 hours
– Milestone Mănăștur – Hub, Coworking – 10 available seats
Milestone Mănăștur – Hub, Coworking & Small Events & Pro GIS Solutions